Sunday, October 25, 2015

Why I'm Rooting for the Mets

Step right up and meet the Mets!
The Mets and the Royals are meeting for the World Series this year, despite what you may have heard from 30 year old movies. We don't have flying Deloreans, either. If someone told me this would be the matchup in June, I wouldn't have believed it. The Mets were a game under .500 after being swept by Atlanta and dropping a pair of games to Milwaukee. I kept thinking about the 2015 Season this weekend and saying to myself, The Mets? Really? How did this happen?

Despite my cynicism, my American League roots, and an exciting Royals team, I just have to pull for the Mets in the World Series. Here's why:

David Wright - Underappreciated and yet also overrated a bit, David is the Mets' version of Joe Mauer. He's been a rock for the franchise in good times and bad, and this is his first World Series appearance. I like storylines, I like rooting for the guy that appreciate the long road and the rarity of being in the World Series. I wanted the Rockies to win it all for Todd Helton, I was happy for the Red Sox (*the first time) because it meant Pedro Martinez was a champion in everyone's eyes. It's the same reason I became a fan of guys in other sports like. Dan Marino, Charles Barkley, Clyde Drexler, Patrick Ewing, John Stockton, Karl Malone, Barry Sanders, and John Elway (Elway's final seasons were so satisfying for a fan)- they were World Champion talents that just didn't have a title to show for it. David Wright is that kind of guy; you'll miss him when he's gone.


Bartolo Colon - Come on. The man is amazin'. Not much to say about Bartolo Colon other than he is a magnificent athlete and a joy to watch on the mound and at the plate. I hope he gets more time in the World Series than he did in the LCS. Colon has had a long long road to get here. He is one of the last Montreal Expos in the league. He has just missed the World Series a couple times in his career, being a year too young to join Cleveland in 1997, and missing the Angels 2002 run by a couple years. Following his Cy Young season in 2005, Colon's numbers dropped off precipitously. He bounced around (and in and out of) the majors before regaining his mojo in Oakland in 2013. The "new" Bartolo Colon is nothing like the imposing flamethrower of the early 2000s, but he's still getting it done. I hope he pitches another 10 years.

Michael Cuddyer - Former Twins will always get this fan's vote. He was great as a Twin, and never hesitated to fulfill the role the team asked him to undertake. He's played all over the outfield and infield. I was so happy for him to win the batting title in Colorado a couple years ago. This will be his first World Series as well. This might end up being his last full season, it would be a great capper on his career.


Honorable mentions - Yoenis Cespedes, for being a good sport about being wanted by every team, but by semmingly no team. The Mets are his fourth stop in the last two seasons. The Young Guns; DeGrom, Harvey, Matz, Syndergaard, and Familia. These guys have been great to watch.


6 comments:

  1. I am rooting for the Royals for one reason and one reason only: I hate the stinkin' Mets!

    They are young and loaded though. I like way more guys on the Royals though - Medlen, Zobrist, Cueto, Davis, Cain to name a few.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Royals have some good players. I like Yordano Ventura, Salvador Perez, Lorenzo Cain . . . but I the combo of former Twins and guys getting their first / possibly last chance to shine is hard to pass up for me. The Mets to you are pretty similar to what the White Sox or Tigers are to me as a rival of my favorite team. The Royals have only recently been competitive, so they don't have a heated rivalry with anyone at the moment.

      Delete
  2. I'm rooting for the Mets! Cuddyer and Wright are reason enough for me. It's their time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think both of these teams have enough young talent to be good for a long time, but the Mets have more of the long time veterans.

      Delete
  3. So what you're saying is that you're rooting for the Mets because you have no shame right?

    ;).

    ReplyDelete