Thursday, January 6, 2022

Throwback Thursday

 


Is there anything sweeter than Sweet Lou? How about Sweet Lou, presented by Coca-Cola? One can of Coke has 39 grams of sugar. That's pretty sweet!


This card is from 1981, and of course it has a pretty much identical design to 1981 Topps, save for the Coke logo in the corner. Of course, Coca-Cola and the Tigers have been linked to each other for a long time. The Georgia-based soda giant was one of Tiger great Ty Cobb's first big investments. 


At first glance, nothing too special about these early to mid 70's cards (maybe you notice that the position "Outfield" is missing from Jesus Alou's card), but flip them over and see... 


O-Pee-Chee! I don't really keep any kind of checklist for these, but I picked these up on eBay for a reasonable price. Everything in this post came my way in either November or December.


My brother pointed out this 1963 Fleer to me, and I sent one to him for Christmas. But I kept the saved search in eBay and eventually found this one to add to my own collection. The buy it now prices are out of control right now, but the auctions are the way to go if you can find one. 


Roberto Clemente - good at baseball.

6 comments:

  1. Love opc! Didn’t realize they had the no position alou in their set. Good to see fleer was using Clemente’s full name unlike topps at that time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me TOO!, Just put some 71-73's OPC's in my ComC inventory. That Clemente....nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice six pack. Every card in this post is sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "The stylish Puerto Rican."

    The best Sweet Lou was Piniella.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't even look at BIN's anymore, like you said, they're just crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just checked the BINs for that Clemente. Yikes.

    ReplyDelete