Friday, July 24, 2015

Just One Pack of.... Basketball?!?! Topps Archives

Remember this box? No worries, I forgot about it too...

I purchased this box in Chattanooga during my road trip to save it for a rainy day.

 A box topper? Not quite, it's a standard card sized advertisement for buying Master Photos.
 Here's what the pack looks like.
 Each pack has one card from this insert of #1 Draft Picks - A pretty unobtrusive design.
 Base cards take the design from each player's rookie year. Kind of a reverse version of Stadium Club. The backs show a "current" photo of the player on his 1993 team.
Pretty good photography! This was my favorite basketball set as a kid, I probably would have loved Topps basketball in the late 80s / early 90s, the designs would probably have been a little different from the baseball versions, though. I'm going to see if I can build the set with this box, but I've already found lots of doubles. If you are interested in any cards from the set, let me know! We can probably trade.

7 comments:

  1. update... I did finish the set with the cards in the box, plus a Xavier McDaniel from my childhood.
    I have a stack of doubles that is almost as high as the complete set, so feel free to contact me about set needs if you have them or team/player wants...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I already have all the Knicks from that set, and I remember really liking the idea back then. I even bought a pack of it when I was on holidays in the US. It was a pretty cool set !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I ended up with three of the Patrick Ewing #1 Draft Pick cards... was kind of hoping to be able to send you one (or two, haha) but I'm sure I will find a home for them somewhere out there...

      Delete
  3. If you had a Shawn Kemp jersey around that time period you were the coolest kid in school.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ain't that the truth - Kemp was one of my favorites from the 90s, at least until Kevin Garnett was drafted by the T-Wolves, then it was all KG all the time.

      I had a Shaq jersey and a J.R. Rider jersey as a kid, I did ok in Middle School with that combo.

      Delete
  4. That's a pretty cool idea. I wouldn't mind if they brought it back again and reversed it - putting current baseball players on older basketball (or other sports) designs. They did a great job with "tall boys" in last years Archives...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah the Tall Boys are really nice cards - kind of a shame that they had to shrink them to fit in a standard pack.

      Delete