Saturday, December 19, 2015

Saturday is, as you know, Card Show Day

I haven't been able to attend a show in a couple months, so it was great to get back into the swing of things.


 Hank and Hoyt - Vintage bargains!
 My biggest purchase of the day was also the smallest. A 1960 Bazooka Ernie Banks.
Still slowly working on the 1956 set, found this guy for a dollar!
 This one looks a bit better in person, the scanner makes those cracks look a lot bigger than they are...
 This stamp is from 1944 - part of a set of 30. Pretty sweet shot at the bat rack was enough for me to pull the trigger for $3.
 50 cent vintage always has some gems... I already had Bill McCool - anyone need a copy?
This T206 is a very interesting error card. The image depicts Otto Krueger, a ballplayer that was playing in the California league in 1908 and 1909. Krueger never played for Columbus. Columbus did have a player named Art Kruger - but he looked nothing like this picture. Check out some more info here
Otto had a very nice season for the St. Louis Cardinals in 1901 - 16 doubles, 12 Triples, a pair of homers and 79 runs batted in. Otto bounced around various independent leagues. His last game in the majors was in 1905, but he played in the minors for another 7 seasons, finishing in 1912 for Scranton.
Art Kruger had 194 hits for Columbus in 1909 and stole 27 bases. He also headed West after his major league playing days were over, however Art was coming home to the PCL (he grew up in California). According to Sporting Life, Art was not great at fielding grounders...

6 comments:

  1. Love that 1960 Bazooka... Not that anything you got isn't cool, but I particularly love the Bazooka.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It caught my eye right away, sitting in a bin of off condition vintage, I knew it was coming home with me!

      Delete
  2. Damn making me jealous I missed my show today. That Aaron and T206 are nice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Normally I make a plan for specific sets I will be looking for, but today I just went after random things and I am pretty happy with the results.

      Delete
  3. Lots of great cardboard here, but I think my favorite is the Bazooka Banks. Now THAT'S a card you don't see every day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, hard to imagine a card beating Hoyt. Finding the Banks card was like finding $20 on the ground... it was not expected to be there in the first place, and I wasn't looking to buy a Bazooka card, but it was too good to pass up.

      Delete