Tuesday, March 24, 2015

An Extra Grande Group Break

I joined my first Nachos Grande group break for the 2015 Topps Heritage set. I completed the 2014 set because I loved the 1965 Topps design, but I'm not really in love with the 1966 version. Joining the break was great for me, I planned on limiting myself to just Twins and maybe a few singles here and there for the set, and that's pretty much exactly what I'm getting.

Here are some of the highlights:
An original 1966 buyback of Sandy Valdespino, who was certainly a fan favorite in his days with the Twins, though he didn't make the same impact as his countrymen like Tony Oliva.

Sandy has the interesting distinction of being a Seattle Pilot, but NOT an "original Seattle Pilot." He was traded to Seattle (with Danny Walton) in August of 1969 from Houston. The Pilots only played one season in Seattle, and Sandy had to settle for being an original Milwaukee Brewer instead.

Ok, history time is over. Hey, what's the deal with those non-Heritage cards? Well Chris joined my Group Trade, too, so included in his package to me was the return for the Cincinnati Reds that I sent to him. You can see a pretty awesome Killebrew in the top left, along with a Koskie, Morneau, and Mauer from years I missed.

Here's everything at once:

My part of the Group Break included the Rockies as well. This works out great for me since the Rockies have two former Twins, Morneau and LaTroy Hawkins, and in general they've been one of my favorite NL teams.

The other "hit" from the break was the Advertising Panel:
Super Cool! Now, how do I store it?

Just a quick digression back to the first image:
Some awesome Mini Munnatawket originals, can't beat that.

This was the second group break I've signed up for - it was a ton of fun to watch the break, and I'm looking forward to many more in the future!

If anyone is looking to add some Rockies or Twins to their 2015 Heritage collection, I've got doubles! I plan on keeping one copy of everything, though, so the hits are probably staying with me. Oh, but if you recall I do have another post with more 2015 Heritage Trade Bait 

1 comment: