Sunday, May 14, 2017

Keepin Up With Kennys

The next day on the 30 Day Countdown is about cards that a person collected of prospects they thought might become greats in the future. Lottery Tickets, if you will. I collect Kennys Vargas of the Twins, not so much because I think he's going to be a Superstar, but because he's currently my favorite Twin. I started collecting his cards the year after he debuted in the majors, and the scouting reports of the kind of player he was likely to be had already been written. I saw him in person for the first time when he was in the Futures Game during the 2014 MLB All-Star Weekend in Minneapolis. Vargas is a big dude. He makes Miguel Sano and Joe Mauer look like his baby brothers from other mothers!  

I went back after the fact to pick up his cards up through the minors from low A in Elizabethton, AA in New Britain, AAA in Rochester, all the way to the big league club. 

I picked up two new Kennys recently, though I already have a couple versions of each of these.

I'm at the point now where I am just searching for parallels, and keeping an eye on the checklists of new releases. I am pretty certain I will never get "all" of his cards, though I don't think that's a bad thing necessarily. There will always be something else to chase!

1 comment:

  1. I love minor league cards, like so many of us. The Rock Cats - my fave card here. Kenny IS a rock - a brick wall really!

    ReplyDelete