Tuesday, May 23, 2017

Day Twenty Six - 1987 Mother's Cookies Chili Davis #3

Day 26: A Favorite Oddball From the 1980s

Taking the lead from Tony at Off-Hiatus Baseball Cards this will be the twenty-sixth of 30 posts, using the prompts provided. I won't necessarily post one every day, but I will do one for each card, toss in a few "insights" (as insightful as I can be, anyway), and usually include an honorable mention or two, just because I'm like that.

Here's my pick - Mother's Cookies are a mostly West Coast phenomenon. I don't think I've ever had one of the cookies, and other than some Chuck Knoblauch Rookie of the Year inserts, I didn't see any of these cards in person as a kid. I found this awesome Chili Davis card while looking for cards to go in my "At the Bat Rack" mini collection. Chili brings the bat rack with him.  
Since these are basically one card posts, why not share the backs as well? I would love to get this card signed at some point - Davis might make a Twinsfest appearance some day, but he's the Red Sox hitting coach right now.

How about some honorable mentions?
Not really an oddball, but I am a fan of the All-Star inserts from 80s Rack Packs, as well as the Glossy Send-in All-Star set. The "Eight Men Out" set was a fun diversion, and I've shared my love of Box Bottom cards before (Dwight Gooden from 1985 Donruss), and this Eric Davis card is no exception.

2 comments:

  1. Mother's Cookies cards are a fine example of "less is more."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to dislike cards with no borders, but I have come to really love the simple, clean design.

      Delete