Thursday, January 2, 2020

Thursday Tradin' Post


Gavin from Baseball Card Breakdown sent me a festive PWE just ahead of Christmas. Included was this custom "SANT A" ornament for the tree!  




I am a proud member of Generation X-Treme! Just Kidding, I'm an OLD Millenial/Generation Y. 


The envelope concluded with a Quintet of Twins, all parallels!


Johan was numbered to just 45 copies! Thanks Gavin, that ornament will be a family heirloom!

Shifting gears, here's something that should appeal to Gavin, as it is tangentially related to his "Baseball cards on film" project.

I recently added a 25th Anniversary Special Edition DVD/Blu-Ray of the fantastic movie "A League Of Their Own," which included, you guessed it, commemorative baseball cards!


Geena Davis as the power hitting and defensive stalwart Catcher, Dottie Hinson. The cards remind me a little of the Topps All-Star Rookie Team test issue from 1971.


Next up was Tom Hanks, as boozing slugger and reluctant Rockford Peaches manager, Jimmy Dugan. There was a custom made card of Hanks / Dugan in the film, eagle eyed viewers will see that the card he rips in half is based loosely on the 1934 Goudey Jimmy Foxx.


The last card in the box was of Music and Film icon Madonna as speedy center fielder Mae Mordabito. The 3 cards had no wrapping around them and were just floating loosely in the box, so all three have dented corners. A bit of a bummer, but these were throw-ins so I can't complain too much.



The backs all have a quote from the movie and some very basic league-wide stats from the AAGPBL. I wish Lori Petty had a card, too. Kit was favorite character in the movie.


The box also had this booklet "The History of Women's Baseball," which contains a short essay on the development of the AAGPBL and some background on what came after. 

5 comments:

  1. Cool cards! I love "A League of Their Own."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Madonna cuz Madonna. They really should have had Lori instead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She single-handedly won the Championship, pitching a complete game and hitting a walk off inside the park home run for (not) crying out loud! Kit gets snubbed again for her big sister.

      Delete
  3. Oh man... I guess I gotta add this Blu-Ray to my eBay watch list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh man I need to hunt down those cards! Great movie.

    ReplyDelete