Sunday, December 1, 2019

A Not-So-Arbitrary Arbitrary Collection - the 2000s



The legend continues! Seeing Hideo Nomo in a Detroit Tigers uniform is a little jarring, but for the most part these guys are in familiar places. The Pirates and the Giants appear two times apiece. The Jack Wilson card is a fantastic shot.


You'll notice that for the 2000s, I am pulling cards in the 200s from the checklist, rather than starting over with #1... Just making a different choice here on these. I was a fan of the backs in 2001 - 2003. The 2003 cards remind me a bit of the 1984 set, which had my favorite card backs of the 1980s. I think 2003 and 2004 have my favorite designs overall from this decade. How about you? What is your favorite design of the 2000s?

5 comments:

  1. The 2001 Nomo card is my favorite here, that tornado windup was fun to watch. I'd stopped collecting baseball cards around 1995-96 and got back into it around 2004, so I'm partial to that one, but the 2005 and 2006 sets are slightly nicer IMO.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a Mets fan seeing Edgardo as a Giant is almost as jarring as seeing Nomo as a Tiger!

    I wasn't collecting at all during that decade, so I don't have strong opinions about the cards, but I do think 2003 is the best design of the bunch. Topps should do the inset photo thing again (but not overdo it--once every ten years would be ideal).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, my collection is very much devoid of cards from this decade also. I think 2008 is my favorite design, but the Jack Wilson is my favorite card.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Favorite Card Front: 2008
    Favorite Card Back: 2004
    Favorite Player: Hideo Nomo
    Favorite Photo: Jack Wilson

    ReplyDelete
  5. 2004 is my favorite. The use of foil text on a dark background really hurt a lot of designs from the decade.

    ReplyDelete