Saturday, November 30, 2019

Saturday is NOT Card Show Day


I myself first realized that this was not a card show day when I arrived at the strip mall that hosts the monthly show and no one else was there... Oh well, always nice to take in the lovely weather. So, instead of showing more of my 1959 Topps set build (didn't add any new cards today), here are the other cards I added from the last couple shows.


Jerry Kindall knows a thing or two about Minnesota winter weather - he was a St. Paul kid and a University of MN standout. He hit for the cycle in the College World Series in 1956 and after his MLB career returned as the coach of the Golden Gophers in the 1970s. He was the first person to win the College World Series as a player and then win again as a manager.


Hey, Let's Add Two Cubs!


I don't like to show the price tags for the most part, but for this card is was an integral part of the story. I have said it enough times now that I'm not a big fan of the 1953 Topps set. I don't have any cards on my want list because I don't have any intention of adding any more to my collection. But here we are, talking about another new card added from the set. I am fairly certain I will not be able to afford a copy of Hoyt's 1952 Topps card, so when I found a copy of his 1953 card for just $10, I had to add it. If it was closer to the book value, I think I would have passed on it.


There you go - less tacky this way.


1952 Topps Horizontal cards, on the other hand, will always be on the list for me! This card has two good corners and two missing corners, which made the Hall of Famer an affordable addition!


Some more random finds included this Doc Gooden Leaf Rookie Card. The Gooden box bottom from the 1985 Donruss card is one of my favorite cards of the 80s, so it was fun to add this card as well.


Along with the French translation on the back, the Leaf card also has a "Rookie Of The Year" stamp over the stat block. When I first saw this, I thought someone added this after the fact, but looking at some other examples on COMC, it looks like it appears on all of them.


The rest of the haul included some more recent releases, There was a decent deal to be had buying all of these together from the same vendor.


The same vendor also had some relic and autographs for sale, and I picked up a pair of Adrian Beltre cards, who just has to wait a few more years before he can be inducted into the Hall of Fame.


This looks like a bat relic, but the disclaimer on the back doesn't use the word bat at all, and is keen to point out that this "game-used memorabilia" is not from any specific game, season, or event.... It could be from an Adrian Beltre bat, but I guess we'll never know for sure! 

6 comments:

  1. Sure glad it wasn't a long trip. That might have bitten a lil more. Great snag on Hoyt, and the Mize. BTW, did you want to trade for those 59's I pulled for you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A Trade sounds good, but I still owe you a package from our last trade... I will be looking at the show next for some things.

      Delete
    2. I drop these 59's into a PWE. The stack of modern day Twins is getting high about 6 inches.

      Delete
  2. I checked the website tcscc.org to see if there was a show. Two in December plus the Maplewood mall show.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Johnny Mize card is gorgeous. I had never seen that one before.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the 1985 Donruss Box Bottom Gooden too. Wish they would have used that photo on his pack pulled rookie card... and the Leaf counterpart.

    ReplyDelete