Sunday, December 15, 2019

A Not-So-Arbitrary Arbitrary Collection - Decade By Decade


So here we have the last page in this mini-collection - showing the zero year from each decade of Topps. I'll be adding another card to this page in a few months, but will I ever finish the page? Will there still be Topps cards in 2040? 2030?


A look at the backs, to give a clear idea of how printing and design has changed over the decades. I may opt to swap out card #70 at some point, as the backs of most 1970 Topps cards have a different look to them. The 1980 set is my favorite design of these 6, but I have to say that 1990 Topps has grown on me a little after repeated viewings. 1960 Topps is of course known as the last fully horizontal set (though my favorite cards from that set are the vertical Manager cards). What is your favorite zero year set?

5 comments:

  1. Does 1950 Bowman count since Topps bought Bowman out? Probably not. I'm just trying to help you finish the page 10 years sooner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I say leave #70! Six faces on the front is too awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1960 is my favorite flagship design of the zero years. 1980 is a distant second. I'm not sure if the 2020 design has been revealed or not yet, but I sure hope it kicks off this upcoming decade on a high note.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was revealed in August. You probably forgot it because it looks like every interchangeable Bowman set from the past few years. https://www.beckett.com/news/2020-topps-series-1-baseball-cards/

      Delete
    2. Oh yeah... now I remember. Thanks for the link. Definitely looks like a Bowman set.

      Delete