Thursday, March 25, 2021

Throwback Thursday

 Nothing fancy, just a post of some "recent" vintage (pre 1980) pickups!


I found a seller on eBay that had some very sharp vintage. More than I would pay for cards at a show, but still I thought a fair price for cards that aged very well. Jerry Kindall is from my hometown of Minneapolis, MN!


I bought Bob Elliott, Frank Linzy, and Angel Scull as upgrades to cards I already had. Davey Johnson is a '67 Venezuelan release- hence the odd/missing border. I found that card looking for more 1964 Topps VZ for that Quixotic set build. 


Showing a little love for the other pastimes, including my first vintage Parkhurst card! 


Here's a look at the back of the "Parkie." ooh la la!


A few more cards that are just barely off the beaten path- an OPC of Andre Dawson, 1977 Cloth Sticker of Mike Schmidt with the Liberty Bell Bicentennial arm patch, a 1960 Leaf Junior Jim Gilliam, and a non-sport tobacco card that struck my fancy:


This is a 1910 "T30" Hassan Tobacco card. This is from a set of 25 cards with Arctic scenes. Just thought it was pretty! " F.N.A.G.S. " was pretty odd, I tried to figure out what it stands for, and I got as far as "AGS" being "American Geographical Society". Albert Operti is the painter that the card's image is based on- he was born in Italy but  grew up in England, then came to the United States and joined Robert Peary on an exploration of Greenland and the Artic in 1896 and 1897. 


Before we get too much farther, here's the backs of those foreign language cards from VZ and Canada!


One more oddball for the road, a 1977 Sertoma Stars Tony Oliva


And the back . . . When Tony came to the U.S., he used his younger brother Pedro's passport. That way he was 18 instead of 21 in the eyes of scouts. 


These all came to me in the mail over the course of the pandemic, generally I'd fall down one rabbit hole or another to find these cards, I don't think a single one of the cards in the post was the card I was looking for when I started. 

Where do you turn for cardboard inspiration? Have you been exclusively buying online this past year, or have you been to a Card Show / Shop / retail location?

Thanks for reading!

9 comments:

  1. Only online. When I've gotten my vaccination, then I'll look for a show I can attend. I do miss it, but safety first.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Old school collector here. No online. Mostly local card shops, individual sellers (craigslist), random luck at retail.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That Arctic Moonlight card is really cool. No shows or card show purchases over the past 12 months. Online purchases (eBay, COMC, and Topps) only. But I've cut back a lot. I've even started selling a few cards the past month or so.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mostly EBay, but I go to my LCS almost weekly and on occasion score at Target. I actually went to a card show last week, but it wasn't terribly special. Very nice cards you have there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Buying online only. I miss the days of grabbing various collections for cheap on Craigslist. And Al my vendor buddy in the city!
    I'd be interested in the poor-conditioned Elliott and Scull you replaced if they are available. I've added a lot of vintage football lately - anything in particular you collect there? I've even got a couple of extra 1977 Holsum Bread Minnesota Vikings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Elliot is. The Scull "poor" condition card has sentimental value as it was a gift from my brother so I am keeping both Sculls. I basically only collect football impulsively. Barry Sanders is the only player I actively seek out, everything else is just based on a whim in the moment.

      Delete
  6. All of the 1910 Hassan sets are pretty. If money weren't an issue, I'd chase them all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haven't stepped foot in an LCS or a card show in the last twelve months, and don't plan to until I get vaccinated. Against my better judgment, I'm still buying retail when I can find it, but I've done a lot more online card purchasing over the past year or so as well.

    ReplyDelete