Thursday, April 4, 2019

Big In Japan


Retirement comes for all athletes eventually, and Ichiro had already flirted with the concept a couple times before. Once when his Marlins contract expired, then again after a short reunion in Seattle. But this time everything aligned just right, playing his final MLB game in Japan.


I had to pick up at least one of the Topps NOW Ichiro cards (I think there were three different ones made during the 2-game series), so it's a chance to check out how the design has evolved. Not much to it, but the simplicity allows a good photo to shine.

3 comments:

  1. Can't wait to see him in the HOF. An iconic player and consistent career.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wish the photo was a little more zoomed out, so you could see his entire hand... but that's not gonna keep me from tracking down a copy of this card for my collection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't be surprised if this photo pops up again in Update or Stadium Club...

      Delete