Wednesday, April 24, 2019

More Vintage Hoops from COMC


At the last monthly card show, I grabbed a few random basketball cards from a vintage table - they were actually dessert. I was on COMC earlier last month and decided that I hadn't paid any attention to the other sports besides baseball. I went over to the Basketball section and made some budget purchases.

Check out Dr. J with cameos by McHale and Bird!


Check out Rick Barry with the Granny Style Free Throw!


James Jones is bemused.


I went for some fun names - I think Corky Calhoun was a Christopher Guest character's name. Doesn't get any manlier than Butch Beard.


Big hair and big personalities. The ABA was almost entirely made up of teams I'd forgotten about or never heard of! The Harlem Globetrotters have had numerous sets over the years, this set was just the players messing around in a photography studio.


I should share at least one back - this was one of my favorites. Ollie Taylor of the San Diego Conquistadors. He jumped cars! He was a 6'1" center? / guard.


Before you say anything, just keep in mind that this man is seven feet tall.

5 comments:

  1. So what brought on this sudden interest? Not that I'm complaining mind you, just curious. BTW, your Erving SA also features soon to be hall of famer, Bobby Jones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, thanks for pointing that out, add the Bruins banners in the rafters and you've got real star studded super action.
      I collected a little of everything as a kid, but had been doing almost exclusively baseball this time around.. felt an itch that needed scratching.

      Delete
  2. Very cool vintage basketball. Not really a basketball collector but that Rick Barry card is kind of neat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All good choices! I think I literally laughed out loud when I saw that Randy Denton card for the first time, circa 1996. Fun fact about Stan Love: he's brothers with Mike Love of the Beach Boys,

    ReplyDelete
  4. That Randy Denton card immediately made me think of Will Ferrell in that basketball movie he did years ago.

    ReplyDelete