Saturday, September 29, 2018

The Joy Of A Completed Run


I nearly made this post a few months ago, when I purchased a "complete" 1983 Topps Traded set on eBay for only $12! Well, I still feel like I got a good deal on the set, even though it turned out that one card in particular was missing. I could have been upset about this, but the very low cost combined with the fact that the set was the only card related item on the seller's store made me think they weren't trying to cheat anyone. I let them know that the card was missing from the set, and that someone most likely pulled it out before the set made it to them.


I found this one on COMC, purchased with some store credit that I earned from a PayPal payment from a friend for Twins tickets. So now I've completed the whole run of 80s Topps Traded Sets!


I didn't know the 1981 Traded Set came in the same box design, so it was a surprise to find it on eBay. Most of these were picked up at shows or card shops for a couple bucks. The 1982 set of course was the big ticket item, I hemmed and hawed on that one for some time before buying it. But once I added it, I figured I should do the whole run of sets with the same box design.

I have two questions for you (thanks for reading this far!)

1. Which traded set is your favorite? (I'm partial to 1986 for the crazy rookie checklist)

2. Why are the traded sets exactly 132 cards? (I don't know the answer, I'm hoping someone out there does)


14 comments:

  1. Congrats!

    I remember thinking the '88 and '91 Traded sets were super cool back in the day thanks to the Team USA cards.

    I think the 132 card size is because that's how many cards fit on an uncut sheet, but I could be wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. congrats on the set. i think gavin is right on the 132 cards

    ReplyDelete
  3. As someone who was there at the start of the Traded sets, there was nothing cooler than the first one in 1981. And the 1982 one was pretty cool because it was the first one I bought and the backs were RED (as opposed to the green for the base set). After that they're all basically the same to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've always been partial to '81 Traded, mostly because I like how the numbering is done in continuation with the standard Flagship checklist. I kinda wish all the Traded sets did that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 1987 traded for sure! Awesome run, I’m not sure I’ve seen that before.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on completing the run. I'm doing the same thing, but displaying them in binders. Don't really have a favorite set, but one of my favorite cards is the 1981 Fernando Valenzuela.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'll throw in a second vote for the 1988 set. The USA cards were awesome. TY Griffin, the Cubs' #1 draft choice, was in a USA jersey, but the most coveted card for me was the Mark Grace rookie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. P.S. - I love how they all look together! It's almost like you completed a rainbow!

      Delete
  8. They should have stuck with the orange box. That's a nice hue of orange.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats on getting them all! My favorite is 1987 Topps Traded because of Ellis Burks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Though I've integrated some of these sets in with the base, I kept all the boxes so I could display them together like that.

    ReplyDelete