Saturday, July 14, 2018

Coin-nys Vargas


It's been a while since I've been able to find affordable and rare Kennys Vargas cards, but in the last few months I've started to see some of the cards that I missed out on when Vargas was a big prospect. 2015 Topps had these Birth Year coin and stamp cards for several players. I finally saw the penny version come up on eBay and pounced on it.


The nickel and the quarter were also listed by other sellers recently - the nickel came via auction and the others were reasonable buy it now prices.


I already had the dime version of this card, which I purchased back in 2015. I kept losing auctions for the others and they eventually just stopped being listed. This gives me renewed hope that the 2015 Topps Clear Kennys Vargas card will finally resurface- There hasn't been a listing on eBay in 3 years for the card, numbered to just 10 copies. The only other version of this coin/stamp card I know of includes a signature, and is a bit out of my price range right now.


I was also able to nab another Vargas parallel, this one numbered to 25. I'm hoping to take an evening to re-organize the Vargas collection and figure what's left.


Vargas was included in Topps Series 2 this year, so I'll be looking for all those parallels, but his minor league career is starting to overshadow his major league one. This 2018 card might be the only other card issued in 2018 for Vargas.


Of course, any time I add some rare Vargas cards there has to be one numbered to 10, even if it's not the one that I've been chasing.

Thanks for indulging this player collection post, there'll be a heavy dose of vintage tomorrow thanks to Commishbob!

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Man a 4 piece coin set is terrific. Wished I could put together a Griffey one but cost would get me.

      I do have one of the stamp cards. I think the oddball relics make sweet pc pieces

      Delete
  2. Are those coins sealed in there tight? Because my OCD would be compelled to move them so Lincoln and the boys aren't upside-down in there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a little wiggle room, I was more wigged out by the wrinkly stamp on the quarter card...

      Delete