Saturday, March 3, 2018

Saturday is Card Show Day


The snow is starting to melt, and with warmer weather, the trip out to the card show finally felt manageable again. I made sure that I got caught up on all the series 1 standouts I missed the first time around.


I'm now caught up on Rookie Cups again, ready for Series 2 to do the right thing and keep the Cups coming.


Every show there are boxes and boxes of Puckett cards, and I usually just skip them because I assume there's nothing in them I don't already have. I gave it a shot and it turns out I was wrong!


I do check everyone's table for Kennys Vargas cards, and for the first time in a long time there was a Vargas card I'd never seen before.


Turns out this was a "custom" card made in New York to promote a local card show (or card magazine?) near the Twins' AAA Affiliate in Rochester. Makes no difference to me, I was happy to add another Kennys to my collection!


I did a double take on this card - Auto, relic, numbered to /25 for hometown hero Joe Mauer. As he's gotten further away from his MVP season, the prices on his cards have seemingly come down everywhere but here in MN. Well. until now! This one was a steal, easily the cheapest Mauer auto I've seen at a show.


It wouldn't be a card show without some cheap vintage! These were all listed between .50 and a buck, and by the time I left the table the stack was big enough to earn an even better price per card.


My set build of 1959 Topps is going to be a focus of mine all summer. I'm going to make a wantlist this month so I can make an even bigger dent at the April show.


The biggest name added to the set this show? Hall of Famer Richie Ashburn! He beat out Willie Mays for the batting title in 1958 by going 3 for 4 on the last day of the season. Way to go, Whiz Kid!

3 comments:

  1. Nice haul. Some great names in the vintage. I've been a Dick Stuart fan since I saw him on re-runs of Home Run Derby.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lots of great vintage. Glad you were able to find a good deal on Mauer. He doesn't have a ton of pack pulled certified autographs out there.

    ReplyDelete