Thursday, May 11, 2017

Day Nineteen - 1984 Stuart Expos Team Issue YOUPPI! #1 of 40

Day 19: A Favorite Card From A Country Outside the United States

Taking the lead from Tony at Off-Hiatus Baseball Cards this will be the nineteenth of 30 posts, using the prompts provided. I won't necessarily post one every day, but I will do one for each card, toss in a few "insights" (as insightful as I can be, anyway), and usually include an honorable mention or two, just because I'm like that.

Here's my Pick! Youppi! will not be denied. I feel like I'm shouting, but it is just the excitement that Youppi! provides to the city of Montreal. After the Expos left town, it might have been understandable that Youppi! would follow. But Youppi! found a new home with the Habs, aka the NHL Montreal Canadiens. I acquired this in a recent trade, and it's easily one of my favorite 80s cards, favorite oddball,  favorite mascot, you name it.

Since these are basically one card posts, how could I not share the backs? You know this is Canadian through and through - bilingual and badass.

Some honorable mentions:
I had to include the sets I've built / am building from outside the U.S. - showing the backs because the fronts look just like the U.S. versions. The bottom row is a lot of Japanese cards I picked up at the National a couple years ago. I don't know much about these at all, but I purchased them for the aesthetic value alone.

4 comments:

  1. More of a bonus: You can tell it was printed in Quebec because the French is first..
    I recently got that card as well..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice! Just picked up the 84 Stuart set at a local card show last weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Youppi! Great card. I really need to add a Youppi! card to my Expos PC.

    ReplyDelete