Wednesday, April 27, 2016

I Love the 80s Frankenset: 1981 Houston Astros

I'll be creating a page per team per year from 1981 - 1989. These are my choices for my favorite cards of the 80s. You can tell me where I'm wrong in the comments! I'd like to hear about your favorite cards from each team / year as they come up.


Next up is the 1981 Houston Astros. Why? Because I've finished their page before the others! 1980 Houston Astros were world beaters. They defied expectation and won the NL West behind great pitching and speed on the basepaths. They went the distance in the NLCS, narrowly defeated by the eventual World Series Champs, the Philadelphia Phillies. All five games were close, with four of the five being decided in extra innings. Garry Maddox doubled in the top of the 10th in game five to defeat Houston. In 1981, the strike shortened season saw the team finish strong - a first place finish for the second half - however they finished 3rd overall in the NL West.

Here are my favorite cards for the Astros released in 1981:
 aaaand the backs:

J.R. Richard  Donruss #140
Nolan Ryan Kellogg's 3-D Superstars #6
Frank LaCorte Donruss #143
Joe Niekro Fleer #54 - just love the "you talkin' to me?" expression on his face.
Joe Morgan Topps #560
Joe Morgan Fleer Star Stickers #109
Nolan Ryan Donruss #260 - a slightly different Nolan card - he's usually shown starting his leg kick instead of driving towards home plate.
Jeff Leonard Topps #469  - Moustache.
Don Sutton Topps Traded #839  - yeah, that's right, Topps Traded in 1981 was a super high numbered extension. Next year, they number the traded set separately with a T at the end.


No comments:

Post a Comment