Wednesday, November 20, 2019

rack 'em up


This past weekend I made it out to a local card show for the first time. This show takes place in a church/high school gymnasium, and is actually easier for me to get to compared to the monthly club show I usually attend. Jim from cards as i see them asked me if I was going to this one, and I probably would have missed it if not for his e-mail. I always just assumed that it was farther away than it actually is! The added bonus was that Jim had a stack of cards waiting for me when I arrived.


I am looking to find a team photo (card) for each year the Twins have been in existence. Didn't have this one from 1999 yet!


There were some fun parallels in the stack, including these green Bowmans.


Still building the bat rack frankenset - I don't know if there are enough bat rack cards to get to numbers #204, 393, or 421, but it's fun to be optimistic! Even if I never fill the gaps between these three cards, they are all more than welcome in the mini collection.


Some more parallels - hoping that Luis Arraez has a strong 2nd season! The first big signing this off-season for the Twins was giving Odorizzi the Qualifying Offer, so they will have him in the rotation for at least one more season.


It was an odd phrase to promote the 2018 season, but "THIS IS HOW WE BASEBALL" makes for a dramatic photo!


Saint Paul, MN represent! Also, I bought 2 boxes of Stadium Club and didn't get the Killebrew card, so I am very happy to not have to buy the single on COMC!


Jim was part of a couple box breaks earlier this year and had the Twins, and I am the lucky recipient of the sick hits! The Twins would have been in a very rough place the last two years if Jake Cave hadn't been there to fill in for all of the injured outfielders.


This card is super thick - like, Maximum thickness. You can tell it's a big card when the jersey swatches are out of focus on the scanner!

Jim, great as always to chat baseball and swap some cardboard. I am hoping my Dodger luck never fades!



6 comments:

  1. That Killebrew card is certainly a different one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What years do you still need for the team photos?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've got a lot of relics with pinstripes on them, but I don't think I've ever seen a relic before with pinstripes oriented in two different directions! (Obviously it can only happen with dual-or-more relics.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great that you were able to meet up with Jim and find another card show to attend. As for the cards... the SC Kepler is my favorite. Talk about perfect timing by the photographer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Blogger meetups rule! That Kepler brings up all kinds of mixed emotions: hate the slogan, love the card.

    ReplyDelete