Monday, March 13, 2017

Andy Warhol's Kennys Vargas

OK, here's a brain teaser - which of these cards is not like the others?

Not so tough, right - the blue one? Yes.... and no. None of these cards are the same.

A tougher question might be - which is the one I shared last week?

Maybe if I flip them over?

So, top left is the base card - top right is the blue card. Bottom left is the bright yellow back variation, bottom right is the "Grey" back, but it's more of a woodgrain / brown. I guess the good news is that this wasn't a high number, or there'd be even more variations to chase. There is one not shown here - the "flip" variation, which has a glossy back and a rough front. I saw one on eBay for $25, but I am ok with missing out on it, at least for now....  

Oh, and Andy Warhol did team up with Topps back in the 80s:

Andy Warhol (United States, 1928-1987) Pete Rose, 1985 Acrylic on canvas with screen-printed image Cincinnati Art Museum, Museum Purchase: Bequest of Mr. and Mrs. Walter J. Wichgar, 1985.208 © 2015 The Andy Warhol Foundation for the Visual Arts, Inc. / Artists Rights Society (ARS), New York
PHOTO PROVIDED BY CINCINNATI ART MUSEUM

5 comments:

  1. Jeez.. I remember when those "variations" were just a result of the printing process.. More crap from Topps..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew Andy Warhol. Topps Company, "You are no Andy Warhol."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do think if Topps had parallels that looked more like Warhol Silkscreen prints, I would be happier to chase them. There's usually one appealing parallel and a bunch of ugly looking ones.

      Delete
  3. Are the bright backs actual variations acknowledged by topps? Also, I took a shot at a warholian exhibit once

    http://garveyceyrusselllopes.blogspot.com/2013/02/theyre-not-funnytheyre-art.html?m=1

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Topps lists the odds for the variations, so I believe they are legit. The "flip stock" one is very easy to recognize in person, but pretty much impossible to tell visually, so I am not sure about trying to buy it online.

      Delete