Tuesday, August 4, 2015

A 1964 Venezuelan Update: New Lot from the National

I didn't exactly meet my goal of adding another 10% of the set, but I'm very happy with what I did find:
 A nice mix of teams and players.
 Best of all, the backs are all clean!!
 Fred Whitfield has the last card in the 1965 OPC set, and he's nearly the last card in the VZ set as well, sitting at #367 out of 370 cards.
 Here were the two biggest names in the lot, both managers.
Again, clean backs!

So, I added just 14 instead of 37, and I still went slightly over my budget. It was harder to find these in good shape than I thought it would be...

 Current Progress: 117 / 370, or roughly 32%

10 comments:

  1. Congrats on the new additions! Seems to me that almost every kind of baseball card ever printed was at the National in some way, shape, or form.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah - there were so many things that I've only seen in books or heard about from other collectors before. The vast majority of that stuff was way out of my price range, but it was really cool just to see it in person.
      I'm not sure if I will ever finish this Venezuelan set, the big names in the set were all super expensive at the National. I would have to be very fortunate to find most of them at a price I can afford.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. I was really happy to find them - I paid a little more than I wanted to, but I know I won't need to upgrade any of these.

      Delete
  3. Congrats. It took me a few years of being a player collector before I found that Virdon Venezuelan and yours is in better shadow than mine. Good find.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was the only vendor that had any 64 Venezuelan Topps under $100 per card that I found at the show. My goal going was to spend no more than $100 what I could find from the set, so I was really happy to find this guy's table.

      Delete
    2. You think they are expensive just wait till you try to tackle 59 Venezuelan.

      Are you a member of the Venezuelan Topps Baseball Card Forum?

      Delete
    3. You think they are expensive just wait till you try to tackle 59 Venezuelan.

      Are you a member of the Venezuelan Topps Baseball Card Forum?

      Delete
    4. No, I didn't know there was a VZ Topps forum - I'll look that up!

      Delete
  4. Nice cards! The Friend and Virdon are great.

    ReplyDelete