Monday, May 4, 2015

Card Show Highlights

Had a nice trip to a recent card show... had to get a friend for Mickey:
This card was very well loved, so I was able to add it for $5!
My first 1959 Ted Williams Fleer card! A Couple Rookies and a 2nd year Stargell were the highlights from the vintage seller that gets most of my money.

I also spent a lot of time at the table of a vendor with boxes of vintage commons and made a big dent in my late 60s early 70s want lists:


Whoops - I already had a copy of that Larry Haney error card- anyone out there looking to add that one to their collection, let me know!

The biggest purchase all day:
good old Bob.

Building an appreciation for this set, thanks to these...

Messed up my list again- Hal McRae is a double as well.

Some horizontal heroes:

Found a dime box:

And then a trove of oddball Kirbys:
A good day at the show! A few of you reading have probably seen some other items I found at this show in your mailboxes!

10 comments:

  1. Lots of beautiful cards in there, great variety ! Glad to see you were able to find a nice Ted Williams action shot

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The one you posted was the inspiration to look for one, so thanks for that!

      Delete
  2. Very nice! Lots of nice Pirates with that Clement and Stargell!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get why Topps called him "Bob" once or twice, but by 1969 you'd think he'd have been able to convince them to use his real name! I can't remember if I saw the Stargell on someone else's blog or not, but it was in the bargain bin, so it was an easy choice to go for it. I'm a big fan of second year player cards (since they are usually the first ones that feature the player on his own).

      Delete
  3. Nice bunch of cards. Love the 71 action shots. Gotta love the Fleer Williams set.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I prefer the 71 Topps action shots to anything from 72-73-74; I think this set had pretty fantastic photography.

      Delete
  4. I'd say any card show that nets you new vintage Bankses and Clementes is a great show. Glad to see you found a dime box as well. Looks like you scored a few nice pickups from it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I developed a taste for the Pacific Legends set after getting some Twins from the set from you - I was happy to have found Feller for a dime!

      Delete
  5. Lots of goodness there. I noticed you got a nice 1970 No Neck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I dig 60s and 70s hitters wearing batting gloves on cards - the bat barrel pose gets used a lot, but Williams' is a pretty good example. The pose should be reserved for more intimidating hitters, like No Neck . . . come to think of it, I'm going to go look around for a Jim Rice bat barrel pose...

      Delete