Friday, January 24, 2020

Which 70s Set Should I Build? 1970 Topps edition


I've been trying to decide which 1970s set to start building for my next vintage set build, but I can't seem to make up my mind. So, I'm going to take a little closer look at what I already have in my collection and try to narrow it down.


I have a 1970 Wantlist, but it's not to complete the full set, it's just a list of cards I thought I'd like to add to my collection at some point.

1970: 140, 160, 380, 470, 537, 599, 654, 668, 670, 683, 706, 713


I picked up a small lot of 1970 Topps recently, about 60 cards.


Here were the rookies I picked up. The other key rookies in the set include: Vida Blue/Gene Tenace, Thurman Munson, Bill Lee, Larry Bowa, Darrell Evans, and Oscar Gamble


The All-Star subset has a cartoon on the back of each card, which I generally like more than dislike.


The Insert Set to chase from 1970 is this group of "The ____ Story" booklets


Here's a page of my favorite 1970 Topps cards, the set is heavy with bat rack cards! Over the years, I've gone back and forth on the simple gray borders and vibrantly yellow and blue backs. This makes the good photos stand out, and the photos that are just basic headshots or 3/4 shots can seem boring or uninspired. With that lot I purchased, I have about 125 of the 720 cards in the set. I'd have a pretty long way to go, but you have to start somewhere!

What do you think are the Pros and Cons of the 1970 Set? I'd love to hear your opinion!

7 comments:

  1. The 1970 is one of my favorite from the 70's. I like the gray borders. It also has some of my favorite Twins; Killebrew, Oliva, Allison, and Carew.

    Some day I will start the 1970 set, but I am working on 1979 right now.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I put this together about two years ago. I've always been good with the grey bordered cards but then again I tend to enjoy simpler card designs overall. Add in the fact that it represents a title for my Orioles and collecting it was a natural.

    As with a couple other Topps builds I became more and more enamored with this set as I went along. It's not particularly difficult with just some of the SP high numbers being tough. I love the backs and the fact that it has 'phantom' Pilots cards.

    If I had no complete sets from the 70s I would consider this along with the 71 and 75 as the first ones I'd tackle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd pick 1975, 1972, 1973 and maybe 1971 before 1970. I could be persuaded to place '70 over '71 though. The 70 is a nice set. As you mentioned, the blue and yellow backs are nice. They have World Series cards, manager cards and Seattle Pilots cards. All pluses. That high number Nolan Ryan card will be a killer to buy.
    I typically would work on two sets at the same time. Just a thought.
    Remember to have fun whatever set you decide to start.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've always liked this set, and was surprised to find out a number of years ago just how many people didn't like it. The grey border is nice, if only because it was, and still is, so different. Lots of great photos in that set as well. There's obviously going to be a few pricier high numbers, but I don't think it's anywhere near as bad as the '72 set.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was never a huge fan of '70 Topps, but I've grown to appreciate it a little more than I once did. The photography is better than I used to give it credit for and the All-Star cards are terrific.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My 70 setbuild is well documented. If top condition is not a big deal, I can supplement your starter set.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a TON of 70's dupes, jlmk when you're ready to thrown down on a trade.

    ReplyDelete