Thursday, June 11, 2020

Which 70s Set Should I Build? 1979 Edition



I've been trying to decide which 1970s set to start building for my next vintage set build, but I can't seem to make up my mind. So, I'm going to take a little closer look at what I already have in my collection and try to narrow it down.


I don't have the Topps version, so O-Pee-Chee will have to do. Ozzie Smith is the big name rookie from this set, but you'll also find the first Topps cards of  Carney Lansford, Bob Welch, Willie Wilson, long time Rockies and Pirates manager Clint Hurdle, Bob Horner, Alfredo Griffin, Pedro Guerrero, and Lonnie Smith. 


Not a whole lot going on here, sort of a Flattened out 1965 design, stretching the pennant out into a ribbon. Maybe more like 1976 with a little less personality?


The backs are a lot like 1976 as well, though I think a little easier to read. slightly better contrasts. 


Here's a page of my favorites - I think I am more likely to just buy a complete set outright than try to ever build this one - most of the time the card shows and card shops overlook this set in favor of "real vintage" or "modern" / "junk wax." A complete set would probably be easily found around $125 or less, I'd probably end up spending a lot more than that if I tried to build it from scratch. The 70s Topps sets had their peak in the middle years, I think. 74 75 76 are top 3 for me in some order. I would rank this set ahead of 78 and 73 right now, but that's about it. 

What do you think are the Pros and Cons of the 1979 Set? I'd love to hear your opinion!

6 comments:

  1. The all-time record holders subset is probably the best thing this set has going for it. That and the bump wills error.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was around my collecting peak at this time; I actually went ahead and completed the 1980 set when I realized I wasn't too far away and had all the big names. It's a solid set, but not up there with the best of the decade.

    ReplyDelete
  3. For me the '70s book-end sets, 1970 and 1979, are the least impressive.

    Pros: It's still the '70s? Lots of funky Pirates uniforms. It's easy to complete.
    Cons: The photo quality seemed to drop for this set.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Be patient and look for one under $100, unless you really care about condition. I got a '77 for a little under $100, not near mint but not awful either.
    Wrigley Wax used to do detailed monthly analyses of what each Topps complete set was going for, you can check in some of his posts from a few years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pros: My neighbor gave me a shoebox filled with 1979 Topps, so for awhile they were the oldest baseball cards in my collection. I also like the old Topps logo.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pros: The old Topps logo. A few underrated rookie cards, as you mentioned. Affordable.

    Cons: It's not a bad-looking set, but compared to some of the other sets from the decade I guess this one doesn't really have the wow factor.

    ReplyDelete