Thursday, June 4, 2020

Which 70s Set Should I Build? 1978 Edition




I've been trying to decide which 1970s set to start building for my next vintage set build, but I can't seem to make up my mind. So, I'm going to take a little closer look at what I already have in my collection and try to narrow it down.



The big rookie card of 1978 was Eddie Murray, complete with Topps' All-Star Rookie honors and 500ft stare to dead center.


But Murray was joined by a trio of Tigers. One of those Tigers shared his rookie card with another Hall of Fame talent, Paul Molitor. Other notable rookies included long time MLB manager Art Howe, 1984 AL MVP Willie Hernandez, Moustache MVP Tim Blackwell, Expos fan favorite Warren Cromartie, Blue Jays mainstay Jim Clancy, Dodger favorite Glenn Burke, and Tiger/Angels great Lance Parrish.


Of course Reggie was going to make an appearance in this set after the 1977 World Series.


The backs are fine I guess - nothing to write home about. Here's a page of some of my favorites from this set that are already in my collection.


I find this set to be very blah. I don't think I would really have much interest in trying to build this set. But maybe I am not giving it a fair shot? 

What do you think are the Pros and Cons of the 1978 Set? I'd love to hear your opinion!

8 comments:

  1. I'm biased as this is my favorite set and the first one I ever collected and completed. The all-star shield might be the best thing about the set. Lots of good rookies, hall of famers, solo then and now manager cards, are some other pros. Cons would be the design, I suppose, but at least there are no facsimile autos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a few cards from this set as a kid and I always wanted to collect it just so I would have enough to play that game on the back with my friends. Never got around to it, but I think you could at least put that in the plus column when considering this one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pros: First manager cards since '74, that All-Star shield, the Murray, Doug Ault, Len Randle, Reggie, Brett and Foster cards, the rookies (if you care about that). It's also the first set I ever saw arrive in the mail complete. Mind-blowing.

    Cons: Topps seems to be afraid to duplicate the design for its retro sets and inserts. But maybe that's a pro, shows how bad-ass the set really is.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pro: 1970s uniforms, no fake autos.

    Con: Shared rookie cards.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you choose to do the 1978 set see if you can locate all the 1978 Burger King Sets to place at the end of the set. I did with my 1978 Topps set & it really stands out especially when you get players on their new team as well the first solo version cards of certain players like Jack Morris,Lou Whitaker,& of course Alan Trammell.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And the zest set for the willie montanez

      Delete
  6. This is my birth year set... I was a little bummed when I first realized this because the design is not one I find attractive. It was a fun build though!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the cursive writing for the team names... and a lot of the Yankees have awesome action shots on their base cards.

    ReplyDelete