Tuesday, May 19, 2020

The Joy of A Completed (Base) Set (and bonus Vintage Bonanzas!)


There it is - card # 333 was the last one I needed for the base set (cards 1-400) of the 2020 Topps Heritage Set. I still have a long way to go to get all those Short Prints from 401 - 500, but it still felt good to get that all done.


I definitely could not have done it so quickly without the help of several traders reaching out to me. In particular, the last few cards were knocked out by a collector and blog reader Mark from Oregon. Not only did he get me most of the way to completing the base set. . .


He's also sent me several short prints, and that alone would have been a very generous trade. But just like last time, Mark didn't stop there.


I'm still keeping my options open, but every time I look at the 1974 set, I like it a little more. I am leaning towards this one for my next vintage set build - still gotta finish '59, but hey, no reason to not multi-task.


1973 has some bright spots too, even though the colors never seem as bright as the two next Topps designs. Always been a big fan of the horizontal cards from this set.


The 1972 set is another fun one, the "In Action" series has a lot of great variety.


Goodness - I did sent some cards back to Mark, but after going through these, I feel like I need to send some more! Love that Gene Baker card.


The Moose! This whole mailer was one pleasant surprise after another, and it hit a bunch of different collecting goals. Thanks so much Mark! I will try to keep the line moving with some fun cards heading back your way.

9 comments:

  1. The Gene Baker card is very cool, and I love all the action photos in '72 and especially '73.

    Congrats on completing the 2020 Heritage (base) set! The short prints are such a challenge, I'm not sure I'll complete another Heritage set (I'm still plugging away at the inserts and variations in 2017 Heritage)

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a crazy bunch of fantastic cardboard! (That smug 2020 Heritage trying to insert itself into all that vintage goodness!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Completing a 400-card base set is quite the accomplishment. Pour yourself a drink.

    Voting for the Mark Belanger action shot. Nice to see an 8-time Gold Glove winner in the field instead of at the plate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's some great stuff right there. Some of those 73s are mind blowing random action shots.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on completing the Heritage 400 set. Lots of cool vintage in that package. Love the photography on the 73's... and that Moose is sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Last night I was pulling cards for you. Three of them were the top three in that '72 photo above. Luckily I've still got enough for a PWE that I'll send you soon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I posted this when I did! Thanks for pulling cards for me, always love to read that.

      Delete
  7. Congratulations on the completed set! That was some mailer too, love the Skowron, I just so happen to have two copies of that card myself.

    ReplyDelete