Wednesday, May 6, 2020

Paging Dr. Setbuilder . . .


First things first - a big thank you goes out to Mark, gcrl, Night Owl, Nick, and Jeff for getting me this far in my Topps Heritage set build. I just have a small handful left to go of the base cards and then I'll have an uphill battle from there to tackle the remaining Short Prints. I have enough stacked up now, though, that I'm willing to start putting cards into pages.


Someone smarter than me once wrote on their blog that the Topps set has traditionally been the story of the past season. I decided to take that to heart here - page 1 in the binder will be the World Series cards, which thankfully consist of exactly 9 cards. Then I have the league leader cards... of which there are 12.


Rather than having a page that is mostly empty, I decided to use this real estate for those annoying cards that belong to multiple teams, and then a sampling of the inserts. I'm not going for a master set, so I feel ok about this, at least for now.


For the individual teams, I am taking the approach of having the first page as the most common or "ideal" batting order, but you'll see the glaring omission  here... Josh Donaldson! With the Nationals it's Anthony Rendon that's missing, but I worked around that by including Ryan Zimmerman at third and Matt Adams at first. The other problem? No Howie Kendrick, and no Brian Dozier... Hopefully I'll be able to make this work by combining the Heritage set with the "High Number" (effectively a Heritage Series 2) that comes out later this year.

What's your strategy for displaying complete sets? 

4 comments:

  1. If I like the looks of the set I totally page it up. Then again, I don't generally build a set from scratch unless I like it. So yeah, I put all of mine in binders and pages anymore!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have only put a couple of sets into binders but never really thought to group teams together. Just went by card number in order, but this seems much more fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In my (usually incomplete) bindered Heritage sets, I start of with divisional playoff cards, then World Series cards, League Leaders, Topps/Sporting News All-Stars, Dodgers (by position), the remaining NL West teams, NL Central, NL East. That's one binder. The second binder will have the AL West, AL Central AL East and insert cards. To me, that arrangement does somewhat tell the story of the previous season.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If a set is binder-worthy, I put them in numerical order. Otherwise... the set goes into a box.

    ReplyDelete