Saturday, June 29, 2019

Being Thrifty at the Card Shop

I took a trip to the local card shop today, as I was in need of more 9 pocket pages to complete my 1959 set, as well as all the rest of my still incomplete binders. I could order online, but why not productively waste an early afternoon?

I have a fairly small hockey collection, but the vintage cards and the Stanley Cup collection has been languishing in a box instead of in pages. The shop had a table full of used binders, and I found this decent looking hockey binder. A little dusty, but no rust and no cigarette smell . . .

So what was inside? Mostly 1989-90-91 Hockey.  I went from pages like this:


To a page like this:



Or a page like this:


To a page like this!

Much better. But I know you're curious about what was in the binder, so here's a sampling of the sets, courtesy of the North Stars:


There were 36 North Star cards, and most of the rest of it will be available for trade, just let me know if you are interested in a particular team or cards from a set, I'll let you know what was in there.


There were 4 "art" cards


A handful of prospect / rookies (these were the biggest names).


A few fun things. Brad Marsh is one of the last NHL players to skip the helmet. The bottom two cards are the hockey equivalent of a bat rack card.


speaking of mini collections - gcrl has a "tatooine" collection of all-dirt baseball cards. these could be "hoth" cards? I think I might hang on to these.


And a small number of interesting shots...

3 comments:

  1. Hoth cards!great idea! I went to 3 stars earlier in the week for 9 pocket pages buy avoided buying any singles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Early 90's hockey card designs were awesome... especially the 90/91 stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The cards are super random, but that's a nice looking binder. I like it. I collect hockey, too, and my blog is at https://countingbluecards.blogspot.com/ if you're interested in checking it out.

    ReplyDelete