Sunday, December 30, 2018

More Scenes from the Last Card Show of 2018


The second installment from my last card show visit is all vintage - 1960s and 1970s bargains! As I mentioned in yesterday's post, the Twin Cities had 3 shows in December, but I just went to one show. As it happened, the vendor trying to talk me into going to the Maplewood Mall the weekend before Christmas was the one who talked me out of it.


The main way that I prevent myself from "overspending" (relatively speaking) is never taking out additional cash once I arrive at a show, and never paying with anything other than cash. Leave the credit cards in my wallet and leave the checkbook at home.



So the vendor I was talking to is always at the monthly show, and has a fantastic trio of vintage boxes - 50% off, 75% off, and 90% off. The 90% box is usually very well-loved vintage, but every once in a while there are some gems. He was telling me basically that the Maplewood show is not as crowded, and that there would maybe be one or two vendors that aren't at the regular show.


This was a selling point for just spending freely at the show I was already attending. And Spend freely I did! This Lou Brock is off center, but very sharp. The 1971 High Numbers can be daunting, but I picked this one up for $10!


How about Hammerin' Hank for $5? Just a buck each for the other Hall of Famers, too.


It got to the point where I was just picking up cards that weren't even on my list - Jim Rice rookie for $4? Lou Whitaker for .50 cents? Yeah buddy!


I don't know if I will be doing a set build of the 1975 set in the future, but I have been finding some real fun cards in the set.


And then I found this gem on my way out. The scan skips over a bad bottom left corner, and there are few surface issues, but for my collection this is a perfect card!


I picked up a big chunk of 70s vintage at the show, but the biggest find will have to wait for tomorrow - I made a big dent in my 1959 set build, it was a perfect end to the 2018 collecting year!

5 comments:

  1. That's a great selection of cards!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great show. LMK if you decide to go for the 75' set build. I have apx 2000 dupes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great cards; I really love the 1974 Dick Allen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That Marichal is one of the greatest cards of the '70s. And congrats on the Brett! A longtime favorite of mine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome vintage pickups! Like Nick... I love that Marichal In Action card.

    ReplyDelete