Saturday, November 3, 2018

Saturday? Why, That's Card Show Day, Of Course!


I saw several tributes to Willie McCovey on the blogs this week, and I thought about putting one together myself. He is the very first Topps All-Star Rookie, after all! When I pulled my 60s and 70s binders off the shelf, I noticed that my McCovey collection was sorely lacking. I was hoping to score his 1961 or 1963 cards, but didn't find either one at today's card show. I did find a nice 1970 All-Star card, which my scanner decided to crop very close.


I made a ton of progress on my 1959 set, too. I saw a Bob Gibson rookie last month that was actually in the price range I was willing to spend and I set aside funds specifically to buy it, but the vendor wasn't at the show. So that meant re-investing that dough in Rocky Bridges, a trio of Bobs, and Gene Baker that seems to be showing the ball around its new home.


I added both suits, and even though Giles was in much better shape, he was also cheaper than Card #1 Ford Frick. The most I spent on a '59 was $15 on this hi-number Jim Perry rookie card.


Whee, team cards! Detroit and the Dodgers were upgrades.


This was the card I was really hoping to find after missing out on Bob Gibson- now that I have Johnny Temple, I've completed the '59 Cincinnati Team set!



It was a vintage only day at the show, I finally caved and spent the $3 on the ugly ugly Killebrew card. I also added another 70s McCovey, this time from 1971.


The big ticket item this show? Ted Kluszewski! This was one of my 2018 collecting goals, I passed on several versions of this card before finding one I really liked. I normally don't care much about condition, but I really wanted this one to be sharp and clean with vibrant color.


"Leading muscle man" indeed. Suns out, guns out Ted!

2 comments:

  1. If I ever seriously get back into the set collecting mode, '59 Topps will be near the top of the list of sets to consider working on. And I really need a copy of that '57 Kluszewski in my life :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those 59T team cards are beautiful. The Cincinnati Reds sleeveless jerseys... not so much. Congratulations on adding the Kluszewski to your collection though.

    ReplyDelete