Tuesday, January 16, 2018

But Wait- There's More


My shopping spree at COMC continues - it's been hard to get out to the local card show, so I had to scratch the collecting itch somehow!


I added a nice stack of mid 80s cards to go along with the early 80s cards I posted yesterday. I think Al Holland is posing after striking out three batters in the last two innings of the 1983 NLCS to clinch a trip to the World Series. I couldn't find another reference to Al Holland and the number 3.


The 80s had a ton of sets that commemorated the 1950s and 1960s, I am a fan of these sets because they make a point of featuring photos never before seen on cardboard, as well as some unique combos like Billy Martin as a Cincinnati Red.


A little Leo "The Lip" during his days as Giants skipper, and a fun shot of Everyday Eddie Guardado in a Washington Senators throwback uni at the Metrodome.


Good news everyone! I am never going to mention how irritated I was with Topps over their rookie cups in 2017 again. I have a page that mixes Series 1 and Chrome, and if I want to include Tommy Joseph I'll have to switch over to Topps Heritage.


I finished the 1956 Set in 2017, so this year I thought I would start on a different set. I haven't updated my want list for this set, it still is the stripped down version that just lists a handful of cards I'd like to have. I have a decent head start on the 1959 set because I was already working on a 1959 Reds team set.



Hall of Fame guys tend to be the last guys to be added to a set build, but I decided to add two guys based on the best two deals I could find.


Baby Bull!


I picked up everything in the post for roughly the cost of a blaster! I'm looking forward to getting back to a card show so I can take a big bite out of this new set quest!

6 comments:

  1. Billy Ball! Knew he was a NY Yankee. Don't think I knew he was a Red too. Cool card.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may just be starting a Billy Martin p.c. He's known for some fun cards.

      Delete
  2. Looks like a solid COMC blaster to me! I can get lost for days searching through all the oddballs over there. And I can't believe I've never seen that '85 Fleer Holland before -- gonna have to find a copy for myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fleer has some sneaky good gems in the early to mid eighties.

      Delete
  3. I met Eddie Guardado in a Pittsburgh hotel one time. He was a cool dude.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That Holland card reminds me of a Bob Horner card, maybe even from the same set. (He was holding 4 balls for 4 homers in 1 game).

    ReplyDelete