Tuesday, March 20, 2018

Gopher Cards? Required Learning!


Here in MN, the Golden Gophers have been about as fierce as they sound during my lifetime in baseball and football. But there was a period of time in the 70s when the University saw several outstanding athletes. Jim from cards as i see them sent over a mailer highlighted by some Hall of Fame locals.


Morris went to Brigham Young, but just like Winfield and Molitor, he spent his high school career in Saint Paul, MN.


Jim sent along several more Twins, including a snazzy metallic blue Ozzie Arcia rookie, numbered to just 250.


Hoping for a healthy and productive season for phenom Byron Buxton, and on the other end of the spectrum, Rick Stelmaszek was a fixture on the Twins' bench for 32 years - the longest tenure of any Twins coach. He was briefly a MLB catcher (his only career homer cam against HOFer Don Sutton), but made his mark in coaching, serving as bullpen coach and bench for 5 different Twins skippers.


The toast of the town in 1987 and 1988? Frank Viola!

Thanks again, Jim - I've always got an eye out for Dodgers for ya.

4 comments:

  1. At least now I know something else I can throw into future mailers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gophers are fun, my Alma Mater is Hamline U., which has a much smaller roster of pro sports alumni.

      Delete
  2. Toast of the town. I see what you did there. I enjoy coach cards and was happy to find that stelly in one of rob's nickel boxes. Also, I miss Ozzie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a great photo that Panini decided to use for that Winfield card. Don't think I've seen it before.

    ReplyDelete