Thursday, March 24, 2022

Joy of a completed (sub)set - 1969 Topps Deckle Edge



Tell me if this has happened to you, fellow collector. You've checked everything off your checklist, and that last card (probably a shortprint, or a Yankee, or both) has just made its way into your collection. You did it! You finished the set! Time to put it all in a binder all nice and organized... wait. Where's the Luis Tiant card?

I could have sworn I had this one! Well, I was all ready to post this a couple weeks ago, but I was missing old "No. 7 of 33." After a careful search of stacks of Cleveland cards, and stacks of vintage oddballs, and going through several binders, it was time to bite the bullet and spend the $1.99 to fix this. 

 


And now it's all done! I started this set build back in 2015, around the same time I started pretty much all of my serious set building / collecting goals. 


I was very very casual about building it, too- I think I had most of it knocked out in a few card show trips back in 2015, but the two short prints ("11B" Jimmy Wynn and "22B" Joe Foy), eluded me for a long time.

This was a pretty appealing set for a budget - most of the cards can be found for a dollar or two (less if you're buying in 2015), it's really just the short prints that can be pricey. I waited a long time to get a good price for the Jimmy Wynn. 


This last page packs quite a punch- with the exception of Al Ferrara, these are all legends of the game!

The set is "out of 33," but there are actually 35 cards in the set, as there are two #11s and two #22s. 

I'm convinced I'm going to find that Luis Tiant in some random pile somewhere... 

9 comments:

  1. Congratulations on getting this insert set completed and bindered! I love the Polaroid-like feel of these cards as opposed to the 2018 Heritage attempt to reproduce an updated version. And I'm happy to say I finally completed my 1969 Deckle Edge set a couple of years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's quite an accomplishment to complete that set. It's one I quite like.

    I completed the 1980 Topps set a couple years ago, and not long ago I went looking for the Jim Kaat and couldn't find it. Went around for at least a day or so convinced that I actually hadn't completed it (and at one point that there was another card I was missing) and generally being quite unhappy about it. I did, however, find the missing cards in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats! Still looking for an affordable copy of the Jim Wynn SP - seems like I've been trying to find one forever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a tough one - I waited 7 years to find one!

      Delete
  4. Congratulations! Very cool set. Although I can't think of any specific examples off the top of my head, I know I've discovered a missing card from a set that I thought was complete at least once in my lifetime. Five or six times if probably more accurate.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Neat set. One would think with 35 cards, a Killer would have been included.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah, especially since he became the AL MVP in 1969, I bet if this was an insert in 1970 Topps, he'd be front and center.

      Delete
  6. Congrats on the great set completion!

    ReplyDelete