Wednesday, February 28, 2018

The Fine Art of Transatlantic Triple Breaking


The Triple break train continues! 2017 Topps Gallery was available exclusively at Wal-Mart, and I found a way to snag a box around X-Mas time. Each box has a pair of autographs, and I was happy to be able to send both of them out to my trade partners Bob Walk The Plank and The Card Papoy.


Here's a peek at the card backs - Mayumi Seto was the artist on all of the base cards (at least in the NL East and AL Central). The backs feature monthly splits and then does the math for you with their 2016 season totals.


The insert sets - all four of these feature the artwork of Dan Bergen. The top right is Gallery "Heritage" based on the early 50s Bowman sets, though not in the original size. The backs show the history of all (well, most) players that played the same position for the team.


Here were the Twins - was happy to get a Gallery "Private Issue" parallel of a Twin!


Just a few more of the base cards. I like the Gallery set. All the cards have heft to them, with a slick (but not too glossy) finish. It's a decent complement to Panini's Diamond Kings set, I am pretty sure that we wouldn't be seeing this set if not for the success of DK. Of course, Topps has the advantage of the MLB license, though I like the design and variety of DK a little more. 

If either Panini or Topps wanted to take a risk, I would recommend an art card set that used a less literal art style - there's no question that the artists are talented, but the photo-realistic style feels unnecessary. I mean, we have full bleed, full color photography on cards now, the paintings to me are too similar to photographs. I would say it's more in Panini's court, as they could take things further into the abstract since they aren't working with logos. Then again, that might be exactly the thought process that gave us the Triple Play sets....

1 comment:

  1. I've always been a big fan of Gallery. Realistic or not, I've got a soft spot for sports paintings.

    ReplyDelete